Sunday, August 10, 2014

Noah's story, part 2

Noah's story continued... part 2

I was nervous about miscarrying again, so I delayed my first OB-GYN appointment as long as I thought I could.  At 10 weeks, I finally went to the doctor.  If memory serves correctly, I was able to hear the heartbeat at that appointment.  That appointment was on a Friday.  At work on Monday, a co-worker had called and needed me to bring her some supplies.  The power to the building went out, so I decided that was the best time to drive the supplies to my co-worker.  I was driving our fairly new purple Dodge Neon.  I loved that car!  I headed down Leopard street.  Near the courthouse, my worst nightmare happened.  A teen driver thought he could turn in front of me, unfortunately, it resulted in me hitting his car and totaling mine.  I was so scared!  I got out of the car and walked to the corner.  I kept repeating "I'm pregnant!"  Luckily the teen and passenger were ok and they turned my car off and did whatever they needed to.  Paramedics arrived, and I repeated again "I'm pregnant".  At some point, I heard mention of "she's in shock".  I don't care what you label me at the moment, all I could think of was the baby.  Someone called my husband for me, then the paramedics duct taped my head to board and loaded me into the ambulance.  They took me to the hospital my mother worked at.  Soon my husband arrived and I requested that he call my boss.  (Later I was told the response from my boss, which solidified my desire to move on).  After doctor did a thorough examination on me,  then it was time to try to find the little heart beating within me. After what felt like forever, the doctor was able to find the heartbeat! God kept his promise!   As I finished with the doctor, he said I could return to work the next day, but I told him I didn't want to.  Instead, he gave me a medical excuse for a week away from work.  I was thankful for the extended week.  I was bruised all over. 

Since the accident was on Monday, I went back to my OB on Tuesday.  I still remember him coming in and saying "Why are you here, I just saw you?", in a very aggravated voice.  I should have been strong and followed my gut to find a new doctor after that.  So much (emotional) growing I still had to do.

There were blessings that came of the accident.  I saw a chiropractor just about daily throughout the pregnancy and for a while after.  I dug deep within and found a way to leave a job that was not a good fit for me.  I felt like this was God showing me the way out of a situation that was not emotionally safe for me or baby.  (2 months prior to this, I share with friends about waiting for "God to close the door and open a window")  It was the one time in my life that I didn't give a two-week notice.  I was professional, went to speak to the owner/boss and let boss know that I would not be returning once I was released from the doctor.  I went into my office, retrieved my sweater (only possession I had in my office) and departed.  The McCain's stayed on higher ground and did not sue or seek compensation from employment for loss, nor was it offered, even though I was on the clock at the time of the accident.  I would like to say that not a word has been spoken to that boss since then, but that particular person does cross my path on occasion.  I will always mind my manners and speak when spoken to, but that is it. 

*at the rate these "parts" are going, this very well could be a 30 part story... 

No comments:

Post a Comment