Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Three bottles

Every day I am more amazed at how different my two children are.  I have heard many other parents wonder the same thing, "How can two children be so different, even though they came from the same parents?"

So many differences, just in personalities alone.

This past weekend my boys attended a scout camp out.  As a driver, I went along for the weekend.  Saturday was scheduled around the Horsemanship Merit badge.  We spent most of the morning and early afternoon on a ranch in Ingleside, TX.  The sun was extremely hot and we had very limited shade.  All boys were required to take along a water bottle and encouraged to stay hydrated.  Adults also made sure to bring extras, as they were needed.

Thankfully, the boys stayed hydrated, which resulted in empty bottles laying around as they moved between activities.  After many years of scout training, "Leave No Trace" would not allow me to sit while these bottles were rolling around.

I picked three empty bottles up and called my thirteen year old over to me.  I tried to hand him the bottles, but he looked at me like I had three heads, not bottles.  "Take them to the truck" I told him.  Blank stare I received.  "Take the bottles to the truck" I said again.  My son looked at me like I told him to rob a bank.  "What? How am I suppose to hold 3 (EMPTY) bottles AND pick up my own bottle?"  My hands are still outstretched, containing the bottles, while my son is still stammering trying to get out of taking the bottles.  "Figure it out" I demanded!  He relented and grabbed the bottles.  I was flabbergasted! 

Later, as we prepared to leave, I tried this again.  Three bottles in hand, I called over my ten year old son.  "Take these to the truck" I said to him.  He walked over to me, took all three bottles and off he went.  

What in the world just happened?  Are these two children mine?  Are they related to me?  I can't believe just how different their personalities are.

By the way, I have a teenager for lease if anyone is interested.  I might be leasing another child in about three years.  Check back then.


No comments:

Post a Comment